Monday, May 16, 2011

Prepared Childbirth Class...and some real-life practice!

I will go ahead and warn you that this post is not for the weak. It has some pretty gruesome photos.

First off, we had our Prepared Childbirth Class on Saturday at St. Joseph's. It was really good. We got to see videos of births, both natural and assisted, as well as a C-section and the lovely epidural video...I'm glad I don't have to watch that again! I did learn that I can take popsicles in with me though to delivery! Jason "enjoyed" all the stuff that was said and was really attentive to it all, learning pressure points for pain relief on me during labor and the nurse insisted that the husbands go home and practice for homework!! Jason didn't like this idea... Most of the people in the class were due in June or July, but there was one lady that was due on May 23rd! I was afraid she was going to go into labor right then! After the class, we got to go and tour the hospital and the Labor & Delivery rooms, very fancy! And we got to see lots of babies in the nursery...so cute! Jason treated me to some Spoons Yogurt on our way home...YUM!

We didn't have much since we had planned for this class all day but we got out early so we just went home and relaxed. I needed to work on some scrapbooking/baby shower stuff so I was diligently working when it happened...don't scroll down if you can't handle some yucky photos.

Let's just say that I had a minor disagreement with the paper cutter. I am fine, just a little cut that looks really nasty but something that I will always remember my pregnancy with. I keep saying that I got some real life practice on my breathing techniques and managing the pain. It was hard, I did shed a tear or two but it was instant tears, like when you get hit in the nose and they just happen. I did not go to the ER, spending $100 for a band-aid just wasn't justifiable to me so we asked the neighbor to take a look at it, the firefighter. He gave me some blood-clotting gauze and helped me clean it and wrap it up. I think my favorite comment from him was as we were rinsing it out with Peroxide he leans over and goes "does it hurt?" I debated..."No it feels great, please do it again!" but went with "yes it burns pretty bad" instead. Once it was all clean then we rinsed it out with water really good and bandaged it all up. Sunday was a little rough, it's hard to sleep because I was constantly hitting it but I managed to just relax all day, kept my feet up and tried to just remain calm. Went to lunch with Jason and his working partner then back home to relax. Sunday night my finger was really beginning to hurt bad, so Jason convinced me that maybe we should go to the Urgent Care. It was closed by this time last night so I said we could go first thing in the morning. We went, only to get told how good of a job we had taken care of it and for me to get a Tetanus shot...and boy oh boy does it hurt! I know it's going to be hard to sleep tonight! I did get lots of samples of antibiotic ointment though from them, as well as a finger guard and some bandaging wrap. All in all, it was worth the $20 copay there rather than the ER.

So again, I'm fine, but the following photos are from this morning...it's not pretty but it's going to heal just fine.






Yes I did take off part of my finger nail too...


Doctor says it should be back to normal in about 5-6 weeks, just in time for the baby's arrival! I sure hope so because right now I can't feel the edge of my finger...crazy but apparently your sensory nerves run on the side of your finger and he says I probably cut them all down but they will grow back.

I get lots of time now to relax, Jason is gone for the next 4 days for a conference...oh so excited about the bed privileges I will have for the next 3 nights!!!

Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment