Sunday, September 11, 2011

Hudson's first 9/11

You know, a lot of things change once you throw a kid in the mix. Like going and running errands, you have to pack the diaper bag with everything under the sun and the stroller that is oh-so-bulky, you spend more time getting everything ready and loaded/unloaded than it actually takes for the errands. Or trying to cook dinner, you have to make sure that he/she is content enough to entertain themselves for about an hour or so, then try to rush and get dinner done in said hour, then allow husband to eat while you console now screaming child then you finally get to eat just in time to change and nurse again.

My outlook on life forever changed after September 11, 2001. I was only a freshman at Texas A&M University and just beginning to understand "life" in general but everything changed after that grave Tuesday morning. I saw a world unite, strangers helping strangers, people thankful for our firefighters and police officers, everyone coming together for a greater cause. As I put Hudson to bed tonight I can't help but feel anger and sorrow that he has to grow up in a world filled with such hate - terrorism - but thankful for men (and women) like Jason and Trey that will show him that there are heroes out there that are willing to put their life on the line each and every day so that he and his peers may be safe. People like Jack (Jason's dad) and Bob (my dad) who fought in Vietnam that will remind him that there are people out there that will put their families aside and go and fight for this nations' FREEDOM. I am so proud for each of these men in our lives, and that Hudson will grow up with such amazing role models in his life.

Everything on TV today was about 9/11/01, it's a lot to take in especially when you don't have a good handle on your hormones and emotions just yet. On Friday, one our local radio stations was giving away free flags, we didn't get one but I continued to listen to the station and a soldier went there and left his flag patch that was on his shoulder why he was deployed, he said something that really disturbed me, that too many people have forgotten, that we only remember one day a year. I couldn't agree with him more. There are soldiers out there that spend months and even years away from thier families; there are law enforcement officers and fire fighters that put their life on the line each and every day here locally, all putting the life and liberty of others above their own. I remember when 9/11 first happened, everyone loved the military, the law enforcement and fire fighters but now that has tapered off. Sure everyone loves the fire fighters still - they run into burning buildings while everyone else is running out; and everyone is passionate about the military - they are fighting for our freedom each and every day; and people appreciate the police - but only when they aren't giving you a ticket. What happened to thanking those individuals though like we used to? They aren't just doing these things once a year, so why memorialize those lost only once a year?

Being married to a police officer, I hear a lot of complaints first-hand. It's sad, Jason will pull people over and give every excuse under the sun to try to get out of that ticket; like one guy...Jason clocked him doing about 60mph in a 30mph zone, he was late for his kid's birthday party - well do you want to make it to the next one? Then I suggest you slow down! Now I'll be the first to admit that I have had a little bit of a lead foot growing up, but it's amazing how quickly my driving habits changed with Hudson here now. I don't know that I have ever driven the way I do now, not even when I was first driving at 16. Sad, but true. I guess as a wife and sister of law enforcement officers, I don't see them praised enough for all the good they do, instead everyone wants to "hate" them for enforcing the law, the laws that we are supposed to abide by - but one day a year, everyone puts all that aside and thanks them for a job well done. It scares me to see my loved ones going out there each and every day, in harm's way, but never once giving it a second thought. They chose that line of work becuase they wanted to help others and that's just what they do, each and every day!

I hate that my son has to grow up in a world filled with such hatred and that he will have to learn some day to the full extent of what today actually represents, but at the same time I couldn't be more proud to raise him with people like Jason and Trey, and Jack and Bob and all that they represent as well. So today I say God Bless the U.S.A., but Thank You to our law enforcement officers, fire fighters and all first responders for the job they do each and every day and may God bless them for wearing the badge and going towards the danger to keep others safe. Please remember to thank these individuals each and every day you see them, even if you are getting a ticket - thank them for reminding you to slow down and smell the roses every now and then!


No comments:

Post a Comment