Friday, April 23, 2010

Note to self

When working late at the office I learned a few things that I thought were noteworthy:

1) The courthouse really makes some weird noises late at night
2) You are always on video
3) Silent alarms sound when you open the front doors
4) Sgt. over security gets a call no matter what the hour is that the alarm goes off...
5) It's very awkward when your boss says "so how was the office at 1:45am?" and you have no idea how he knew you were there?!?!

With the conference being just a hectic time for our office and all on the committee, things do come up at the last minute that have to be done, it's just inevitable... So sure enough, we had things come up so I volunteer to take care of everything, the "yes woman" that I am and night owl too, to stay up at the office until all hours of the night working on things and when I have reached my limit of exhaustion I finally decide to go home. So construction going on around the office and certain areas are blocked off...I had to park in a particular parking lot that is far from the "private" entrance we normally get to use. Well, at 2:00am I'm not going to walk around the courthouse with large plastic tubs and all my conference materials, it's just a little scary (of course I probably shouldn't have been at the courthouse that late anyway...) So I proceed to go out the front door. Now the first trip was difficult, I had a dolly, but it's a cheap one, and with two large tubs, and two boxes on top of that I managed to get out the doors with only knocking everything off once! The second trip was carrying a large white board...not heavy, just awkward in size...again, hitting doors and everything...it was difficult to say the least. The third trip was just me leaving, empty hands. Now I thought about getting someone from the jail to help me, it would have been the smart thing too now looking back because little did I know that the camera is always running by those doors and that those doors have a silent alarm that triggers when opened and gets the night sgt. called in the middle of the night...oops! Do you think that the jailers thought to come and see who was going in and out? Of course not! How about come and help a lady struggling and walking outside in the dark? Of course not! It's funny now, but at the time I just knew I was in trouble when my boss walks up to me at the conference (and keep in mind, at this point I have been up all night long, only cat-napping for about 30 minutes) and says "so how was the office at 1:45am?" you can imagine my shock because I knew he couldn't have known...well that night sgt. caught him and let him know. So...needless to say...I won't be up at the office late anymore...

Conference was amazing! Had over 400 attendees, my speakers were all amazing and had great reviews! I'm so glad to be a part of such an amazing group of volunteers putting on a conference of that magnitude. Surprising, I can't wait for next year's conference to see what it holds for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment