Saturday, February 23, 2013

Fallen First Responders

These are not happy moments I want to remember, however, it's in these moments that I am most proud of my husband and all first responders in this area. Jason worked this weekend, and as usual he was texting until late in the evening. I remember him texting letting me know there was a fire they were working, then about 2 hours later he called saying it was bad. He didn't have to say anymore, I could hear it in his voice just how bad "bad" meant. He continued to text most of the night just letting me know he was ok and that he would be home in the morning. I will NEVER forget that smell for as long as I live, I could smell him as he walked in the door, the smell of smoke just engulfed him. Our community lost 2 firefighters that night, my husband lost another dear friend. Unfortunately this hit too close to home too soon after our last tragedy. Jason was asked to be a part of the procession as it marched in so it was a very long day for him, as I watched everything I was just amazed and in awe of all that came together for these fallen brothers in blue. It's a truly humbling experience to witness.

I'm proud when my husband wears this uniform, but so sad that he has to pull out the honor guard gear.

Morning view as it all began

The procession marching in


This is the engine that Jason's friend rode on, Jason was marching him in one last time



Caught by The Eagle that morning, you can see so much emotion and strength in my husband's face


When I see little moments like this I couldn't be more proud of the man Hudson has to look up to. This little boy had come to be a part of the events and Jason went up and introduced himself to him and thanked him for being there. 




Final ride home...

I really hope we don't have anymore of these for a while, I don't know that our hearts can handle anymore heartache.

No comments:

Post a Comment